Hi, I am Sandi Schwartz, a freelance writer, blogger, and editor specializing in parenting, wellness, environmental issues, and human behavior. I enjoy analyzing everyday life using science, humor, and a passion to improve the world. I am also an expert in simplifying science to educate others on challenging topics that affect our lives.
My articles have been featured in Parent Co, Very Well, BlogHer, One Green Planet, Modern Alternative Mama, Urban Mommies, Good Mother Project, and Car Seats to Keys. To see more of my work, check out my portfolio.
My blog Happy Science Mom is parenting toolkit for raising happy, balanced children. I share tips, resources, and activities from the world of happiness science to help parents teach their children how to live joyful, fulfilled, and peaceful lives. I address mindfulness, giving, food and exercise, optimism, kindness, awe, gratitude, sleep, and connecting with nature. I have written several book reviews and sponsored posts on my blog for companies including Oriental Trading, Diapers.com, Paperless Post, Kidloland, Cozy Phones, and Aurorae yoga products.
My prior experience includes freelance writing and research projects with environmental, energy, transportation, and health organizations and publications such as Union for Concerned Scientists and EM Magazine of the Air & Waste Management Association. I also held positions with the National Academies, United States Environmental Protection Agency, and Cadmus Group, a consulting firm where I worked on EPA’s ENERGY STAR program and projects addressing indoor air quality and asthma.
I earned a Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies with a Political Science minor at The George Washington University and a Master of Arts in Government with an Environmental Policy Focus at Johns Hopkins University. In 2014, I completed The Science of Happiness course offered by the University of California, Berkeley and served as a Community Teaching Assistant.
Some Other Fun Tidbits About Me
- My hobbies include piano, watercolor painting, reading, community service, and working out.
- I am always craving new knowledge and prefer non-fiction over fiction.
- The environment has been my passion since I cleaned up a river in high school with the student nature club.
- I have enjoyed writing since I served as an editor for my high school newspaper.
- My Graduate School Masters Thesis explored the effectiveness of policy options in bringing more fuel-efficient vehicles to market, and now I am the proud owner of hybrid and electric cars.